Installing Subversion 1.7 on Debian Squeeze via Apt
At work, I have to manage multiple patches on top of Subversion. When I used patch command to merge these patches I had to add and remove files to subversion manually. This was annoying.
I you would like to use the latest subversion and insist on using the package manager like me, follow the steps below:
- Add deb http://opensource.wandisco.com/debian/ squeeze svn17 to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.
- Download the GPG key of the repository and add it to apt:
- wget http://opensource.wandisco.com/wandisco-debian.gpg.
- sudo apt-key add wandisco-debian.gpg.
- Run sudo aptitude.
- Press u to update package list.
- Find subversion package.
- Type / to enter search mode
- Type a few letter from the search term, “subversion” and then press ENTER.
- Type n until the cursor is on the correct line.
- Check that the version is 1.7 and something.
- Type + and then g
- Review the list of packages to be added, removed and upgraded.
- Type g again to run the update.
You might want to install/upgrade other Subversion related packages like python-subversion along with the main package. You might also want to comment this repository from the sources.list once the upgrade is finished.
If you have any questions, suggestions or corrections feel free to drop me a line.